Today’s topic is,
Installing Joomla content management system version 3.1 on windows
This is the 2nd tutorial in Complete reference tutorial Joomla CMS package. This is for all those newbies who are into Web development and how are Joomla! lovers.
This tutorial is all about ‘How to install Joomla on windows system using XAMPP‘. You’ll see each and every steps involved in installing the worlds most leading CMS[Joomla!] with screenshots to help you navigate through easily.
Joomla is one of the top CMS[Content Management System] available in market and is a free software for use under GNU[General Public License]. So, saying that – It means you can download the software for free and need not pay anybody. You can install it on your systems using any of the Servers available in the market and create a wonderful Website as you need.
One more good thing about the CMS is that you can customize it according to your need and you can sell the fully furnished/ready to deploy package to your customers and provide extended services as well like installing additional functionality etc…
For today, I’ll take you through only the installation of the CMS. In my next tutorial – you’ll see how to install additional modules and extending features that are plenty available.
- Joomla CMS package – Download it from Joomla website.
- XAMPP latest stable version – Download it from XAMPP website or click here to download it from other trusted website.
If you haven’t yet installed any server on your local windows system – Please download a copy of the XAMPP[Free to use localhost Server] from the above provided link.
Once downloaded, please install it.
If you do not know how to install and configure the server, do not worry I have a tutorial on it – How to install XAMPP on a windows machine/system.
Thinking that you have already installed the local server on your systems – I’ll go-ahead with the tutorial.
Step1: Once you download the CMS from Joomla website, you’ll see a zip with the version number as seen in the below. But the version number will differ according to when you are downloading the package. Every latest versions will have different version number as usual.
Step2: Extract the zip package onto the same folder and rename to the name that you want your website to be. See the screenshot below.
Step3: Copy the renamed package and go to C:\xampp\htdocs and paste it there. See the screenshot below.
Step4: Check whether Server is up and running, else start the server. If you have no idea on how to start the server – go back to my previous tutorial and follow few steps.
Once the server is up and running – you need to test it. To test it you need to open your browser and type the URL you see below in the address bar.
If it successfully loads a sample page as seen below – you are ready to go-ahead.
Step5: Now, go back C:\xampp\htdocs and click on the folder and press F2 key and copy the name of the folder and go to your favorite browser and type as seen below:
In the above example test-joomla is my website name. replace it with the name that you copied just now and hit enter.
Now, you’ll see that your browser has loaded your site but in installation mode. Because, you need to setup the CMS and create database etc… Please see the screenshot below.
Once you see that view, remaining steps are self explanatory. Just fill in what it asks you like the following.
- Default language – English(United States)
- Provide Site name or Title – Your Website title
- Description for your site – Your Website description
- Admin email id – Your email id
- Admin user name – Your preferred user name
- Admin password – Your preferred password
- Site offline – Keep it No
- Database Type: MySQLi – It will automatically detect it, you need not worry
- Database Host name: Localhost
- Datebase Username: root
- Database: Password: If you have set password for your phpmyadmin, enter that else leave it blank
- Database name: You need to create a database before you enter it in the box left for database name. Please see step7.1
- Admin password – Your preferred password
- Table Prefix: Let the installation choose it randomly
Step7.1: Go to your browser and type the following URL to access the database UI.
1. Click on Databases on the top menu
2. It will take you to the place where you can create Database
3. Type your desired Database name and click on Create button
4. Your Database is ready for use
5. Copy the name and then go back to the Joomla installation page and paste it inside the Database name box
Step8: Overview of the installation
- Here, it will show you the details of all the previous steps. It will indicate you if everything is going good or if there is any issue.
- Along with it – It will ask you if you want to install any kind of Sample data – Choose none.
- If there are any issues you need to rectify and correct it there and then proceed further by clicking on Install button at the top right corner.
Congratulations! Your first Joomla website is ready to use will all the features needed for a simple Website.
Step8: After the successful installation of Joomla there is no need for the installation file. So Joomla make sure that it is removed from the directory.
See the screenshot below and you’ll notice an Orange button asking you to Remove installation folder. Click on that and it will be removed.
Once done, it will show you the congrats message as seen in the screenshot below
Now it says Installation folder is successfully removed and you are left with 2 buttons as options in front of you
1. Site – Click, If you want to see your Website
2. Administrator – Click, If you want to directly configure your site. To access administrator page you need to type in the following
Below is what a Joomla! administrator login page look like
Below is what a Joomla! administrator home page look like once logged in
So guys, hope you enjoyed installing Joomla on your systems using XAMPP.
Any question – please write back to me, I’ll try to answer it asap. Hope to see your positive suggestions as well.